"BUILT TO PROTECT THE CITY FROM DUTCH ATTACK"
Constructed 1675 – 1689, transformed at the time of the first expansion of the city 1708, it was built to protect the city from an attack from the Dutch fleet.
Holland Bastion was armed with 24 cannon. In 1696, the Count of Toulouse replaced them with larger pieces: 12 of 36 calibre and 12 of 48 calibre. This gift rewarded inhabitants of St Malo for their courage and successful defense during the 1696 attacks.
In 1684, the guard-dog “Les Chiens du Guet” kennel was re-sited to Porte St Pierre, the gate under this Bastion.
Bull dogs were used for centuries to defend the port and strands. Noguette, the Curfew Bell, was rung at 10 pm to fore-warn that the city gates were closing and the dogs let loose.