"FIRST REPUBLIC OF SAINT-MALO, LAST REPOSE OF CHATEAUBRIAND"
Rocky mound 400m from the city, accessible at low tide.
The word "Bey" means tomb in celtic. The island hosted the first republican meeting of the inhabitants of Saint-Malo when, in 1308, they rebelled against their lord-bishop, and met to elect a mayor.
Around 1360, hermits built a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Laurel, then to St Ouen.
A redoubt was built in 1555, then replaced by other fortifications in 1652.
Chateaubriand, the writer, was buried on Grand Bé Islet on July 18th 1848.
Twenty years before his death, he had expressed his desire to be buried on this piece of land facing the sea in order to continue his conversation with the sea.