The area known as Clos-Poulet
The largest group of villages in our historic territory is known as Clos Poulet, which extends around Saint-Malo and Cancale.
The castle fort of Châteauneuf, listed as a Historical Monument in 1992, is built on a spur overlooking the wetlands of Dol, the river Rance, and the old Roman road from Rennes and Corseul to Aleth. It is known as the 'lock of the Saint-Malo country' for its defensive role.
The first fortress, Bure, was built in the 11th century. Later, in 1181 a stone castle replaced it - Castellum des Noë which literally means the 'castle of the swamps' and which transformed later into become Chateau Neuf. Later "Ille et Vilaine" was added to the name to avoid confusion with the many other Chateauneufs in the North of France.
The main village, located mainly inside fortress walls, has grown at the foot of the castle keep in the north, and around the church. Certain houses date back to the 16th century and to the Religious Wars, and boast corbelled firewalls within their wooden frames.
The Saint-Nicolas church, dating from the 15th century, and restored in the 19th century, is a former feudal chapel. It was enlarged during the 17th and 18th centuries, in order to welcome the increasing local population. Surrounded by its cemetery, it is the second largest parish enclosure in the department of Ille et Vilaine, after that of Saint-Suliac.
North of the fortress stands the "little castle" built from the middle of the 17th century, on a primitive plan foreshadowing the walls of Saint-Malo, yet to be built. The building was classified as a national monument in 1992.
The centre of this small old town is home to the old market hall. It has been restored as the "Halle aux Artistes," welcoming artists from around the region and further afield who come to breathe new life into the town centre. A young wedding costume designer set up shop here in 2017 - her creations are outstanding.
A second, more modern area developed from the 19th century onwards, south of the castle. A 19th century oratory dedicated to "Our Lady of the Guard," patron saint of the Marseillais, can be found here.
138 hectares - 1600 habitants - Castelnoviens & Castelnoviennes