The name of the town comes from the Goyon family, former lords of the manor and appearing in censuses from the 12th century. Formerly divided into two parishes, La Gouesnière and Bonaban, Charles X united the two villages into a single municipality in 1829.
The town centre is located on a rocky schist and granite plateau overlooking the Bay of Mont-Saint-Michel and the lower part of the wetlands is drained by the Huguenais stream, Biez Jean, the Basse-Normandie stream and the rivers Barbotais and Biez de la Bézardais.
The town is crossed by the Saint-Malo country hiking trail, which passes through the Bois Renou woods, a beautiful green space overlooking the marais. At the end of the walk, a view point affords a wonderful outlook over the vast expanse of the bay, and shelters an artificial cave, an exact replica of the grotto of the immaculate conception in Lourdes.
In front of the entranceway to the woods, behind a huge gate, and at the end of an avenue of trees, stands the chateau de Bonaban, one of the largest in the region. Built in 1777, its park is designed like a ship's deck. The chateau replaced the old fortress of Bonaban, built in the Middle Ages.
875 hectares - 1,700 inhabitants - Locals known as Gouesniériens & Gouesnériennes.