The name means "little wood, coppice"
As you will see, the village is largely situated in the forests of Mireloup, with its artificial lake and Beaufort, and the national forest of Mesnil.
It was in the 12th century that the Hermit Gaultier settled in the forest of Le Tronchet and founded a religious community. In 1117, the Abbey of Notre Dame du Tronchet was born. It was to be ruined many times over the centuries. The abbey you can visit today dates back to the 17th century, while the manor house has survived since the 13th century.
Abbaye du Tronchet
In the past, the population consisted mainly of fishermen who sailed to Newfoundland for half of the year, the other half being devoted to work in the granite quarries of Lanhelin or Saint-Pierre de Plesguen. A small part of the population were farmers, growing potatoes and the famous local cherries, nicknamed "badious."
During the Revolution, Le Tronchet was administrated from nearby Plerguer, regaining its communal autonomy in 1953, making it the youngest town in the local area.
The king of the Corsairs, out hunting...
The history of the town is also associated with the famous corsair Robert Surcouf, who bought the forest of Mesnil to be his private hunting reserve. He built a storehouse for game, and his son built the chateau in 1848, inspired by the local architecture? His second son built the beautiful manor of Mesnil des Bois.
In 1931, the Surcouf family sold the forest to the state. Since then, this national forest has become a favourite place to walk for locals and visitors alike.
Saint-Malo Golf Club
Practice range and 18 holes
At the end of the 1980s, many British tourists regularly staying at the abbey hotel asked the local authorities to create a golf course, as the sea grasslands were perfect for a links. The Saint-Malo Golf Club was born in this green setting, and hosts 2 courses a 9-hole round, perfect for beginners, and a more challenging 18-hole links for enthusiasts. Today it is one of the most beautiful courses in the region, making the most of our charming maritime environment.
1,135 hectares - 1,166 inhabitants - Locals known as Tronchetois & Tronchetoises.