The Neolithic site of Lillemer
The village of Lillemer is located between the White Marsh and the Black Marsh west of Mont-Dol. Remains from the Neolithic period, dating back to 4,000 B.C., were discovered during archaeological excavations conducted since 2001.Thanks to the peaty and humid soil, the unearthed remains are in an exceptional state of preservation. A monumental entrance is one of the discoveries, presuming the existence of a Neolithic enclosure system built on the Lillemer mound. Thousands of lithic pieces, ceramics, domestic objects, as well as the bones of an adult burial have been exhumed. The excavations carried out on the village have given rise to a Neolithic interpretation center. The space is open to visitors free of charge, at the same times as those of the town hall.
The privateer wrecks of La Natière
Two privateer frigates were lost in the 18th century in the bay of Saint-Malo: the Dauphine and the Aimable Grenot. The wrecks of the ships were discovered fortuitously by a Malouin diver in 1995 on the rocks of La Natière.The Dauphine, a 300-ton vessel had 180 sailors on board. Built in Le Havre, it sank on December 11, 1704. The royal frigate of Granville, the Aimable Grenot, was lost at sea on May 6, 1759. Excavated since 1999, the two ships have yielded more than 3,000 movable objects: swords, sabers and pistols, clothing, Norman ceramics and even surgeon’s equipment, making this one of the richest underwater archaeological sites in the world. The research conducted on these ships will lead to the opening of a maritime museum in 2019.
The Viking Camp
The remains of a Viking camp remain in the Vigneux Cove in Saint-Suliac, on the banks of the Rance. It would be a fortified camp occupied by the Normans in the 10th century. The site has not yet revealed all its secrets, but it is assumed that a wooden fortification was perched on an earthen promontory and surrounded by an assemblage of stones. An external entrenchment certainly protected by piles was to be able to accommodate the drakkars in the shelter, on the ground side.to see it, borrow the circuit of the Mount Garrot, 4 kilometers long. A real promontory above the maritime estuary of the Rance, Mont Garrot offers a magnificent panorama over Saint-Suliac and the cove of Vigneux. The departure is located 800 meters from Saint-Suliac at the level of the Moulin de la Chaise.